- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, optional
- 2 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp thyme, fresh (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp parsley, dry flakes
- 3 breasts chicken, or thighs, skinless, boneless
- 6 cups chicken broth, hot or boiling
- 2 cups water, hot or boiling
- 3 cups kale, ribs removed and leaves chopped or torn into small pieces
- 2 cups Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Egg Noodles
Preheat crockpot to High for quick cooking (3 hours), or Low for longer cooking time (7 hours).
Place all ingredients up to chicken into crockpot, in order listed. (Olive oil, onions, celery, carrots, spices, chicken). Pour in broth and water; they should cover with plenty to spare. (Adding a little extra water won’t hurt, as the chicken and vegetables will contribute to the finished broth.) Cook for 3 hours on High, or about 7 hours on Low, until chicken is cooked through and will tear easily with a fork.
Remove cooked chicken breasts from crockpot, and place on cutting board to cool. In the meantime, add the kale and Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Egg Noodles, and stir into the soup. When chicken is cool enough to handle, tear or cut it apart into bite-sized chunks and return it to the crockpot. Simmer for another 15-30 minutes. Serve hot, with bread or biscuits.
Note: To make gluten-free, just substitute Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Linguine, broken into 2 to 3-inch long pieces.
makes about 8 servings
Print this Recipe