- 1 cup Hodgson Mill Multi Grain Cereal with Quinoa & Flax
- 1 1/4 cup Hodgson Mill All Purpose White Flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, may also use coconut oil or softened butter
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup brown sugar, or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or substitute plain yogurt
- 3/4 lb sweet potato, baked and scooped out of peel, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6-10 large dates, chopped (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 400° F. Line muffin pan with liners, or lightly grease with nonstick spray.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to get rid of clumps. Mix the wet ingredients — oil, egg, sweet potato, buttermilk and sugar or maple syrup in another bowl. Add dry mix to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in chopped dates, separating them as you pour them in so they don’t clump. Batter will be thick.
Pour or spoon into prepared pans and bake 10 minutes at 400° F, then reduce heat to 350° and bake 15-20 minutes more. Muffins are done when lightly browned on top and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Let muffins cool. (See above about laying muffins on their side while cooling to prevent soggy tops.)
Notes: Keeps about 3 days in airtight container in cool place.
For a creamy, slightly sweet “schmear” or light frosting, blend softened cream cheese with a little bit of maple syrup and cinnamon–about one ounce cream cheese to one teaspoon syrup and a pinch of cinnamon.
Makes 12 muffins.
Print this Recipe