- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pkg Hodgson Mill Fast Rise Yeast
- pinch granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus 2 tsp., divided
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill All Purpose White Flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Hodgson Mill Yellow Corn Meal, plus more for pan
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup salsa, preferably chunky
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, sliced and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced and chopped
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese
- fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
- lime juice, for serving (optional)
Proof yeast in a measuring cup with warm water and sugar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy. Mix together dry ingredients, and make a well in the center. Add yeast and oil, and stir until combined. Knead on lightly floured surface 7-10 minutes until dough starts feeling smooth and stretchy. Shape into a ball. Pour 1 tsp. olive oil into the bowl, and roll dough until both dough and bowl are lightly coated. Cover and allow to rise in a warm location until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 450° F. Press air out of dough, divide in half, and shape each half into a flattened ball. Set each disc on baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Pour 1 tsp. olive oil on dough and spread evenly around, gently pressing and stretching dough until it is about ½ inch thick.
Mix salsa, tomato paste, and cooked black beans together and spread evenly on shaped dough to the edge. Add rest of toppings, and bake for 11-13 minutes, until cheese is melted and toppings are lightly roasted. Serve warm with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
Add ½ - 1 cup cooked sliced chicken, cooked shredded pork, or cooked ground beef if desired. Dough can also be made ahead - just refrigerate after rising, and when ready to bake, let it sit out 30 minutes to come back to room temp. You can also freeze the dough in sealed plastic bags lightly coated with olive oil. Let it thaw completely in the fridge, and then let it warm to room temp for 30 minutes before baking.
Makes 2 10-inch pizzas, serves 3-4
Print this Recipe