- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth, + 1 can water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 8 oz. pkg. Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Elbows with Golden Milled Flax Seed
- 2 cups fresh zucchini, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pot using a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cooled.
Reserve two tablespoons of bacon drippings in the pot (add olive oil if there isn’t enough) and heat again. Sauté the onion and garlic in the bacon drippings for four minutes or until tender. Add broth, water (fill an empty broth can) and white wine and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally as pasta is cooking to keep it from sticking. Add zucchini, corn, tomatoes and beans to the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in basil and lemon juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top each with a sprinkle of Parmesan and bacon before serving.
Vegetable broth can be used instead of chicken broth and the bacon can be omitted for a vegetarian version of this soup. The wine is optional (use water or more broth instead) and other types of pasta, like Hodgson Mill Ultragrain® Elbows with Quinoa, can be substituted for the gluten free elbows.
Print this Recipe