- 1 box Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature or slightly warm
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup fresh apple, cored and diced - no need to peel
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Thick Cut Rolled Oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
Pour cake mix into a large bowl, reserving one tablespoon. Add butter and mix with electric mixer until well blended. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat until smooth, about two minutes. Set aside. In a medium bowl toss the reserved cake mix with one tsp. ground cinnamon and apples, and toss together. Gently fold coated apples into the batter and divide evenly into prepared muffin pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, make streusel by mixing together brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, fork or fingers until mixture resembles small pea-sized crumbs. Sprinkle a tablespoon of the streusel topping over each cupcake and then bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until it reaches a glaze consistency, adding more milk as needed. Drizzle glaze over cooled cupcakes.
Cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Print this Recipe