Awelcome meal any time of year, but especially in the spring and early summer. Chock-full of vegetables, chicken and wholesome, firm Pearled Sorghum, a delicious ancient grain grown in the USA!
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Pearled Sorghum
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup leek, quartered, thoroughly rinsed and white part thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. herbs de Provence
- 4 cups chicken broth, hot
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup baby zucchini, diced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium saucean, combine sorghum with water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the water has been absorbed and the sorghum is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Set aside.
In a large soup pot, heat butter and oil over medium heat and sauté leeks and carrots for five minutes or until the carrots are crisp-tender, and the leeks are becoming transparent. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Add herbs de Provence and hot chicken broth, and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat, add the peas, zucchini, chicken, lemon zest and juice. Cover and allow the vegetables to become slightly cooked and crisp-tender, about four minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place helpings of sorghum in individual bowls (1/4 cup or more of sorghum) and ladle some of the soup over top. Add a sprinkle of fresh basil to each bowl and serve immediately.
Print this Recipe