- 1 cup Hodgson Mill Pearled and Cracked Sorghum
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 14 oz. Polska Kielbasa, sliced and quartered
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) fire roasted or plain crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, bring two cups of water, sorghum and a pinch of salt to a boil Cover, reduce heat to a simmer for 17 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let rest covered 5 minutes to let liquid absorb completely.
Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat; sauté kielbasa until evenly browned. Remove from pot and set aside. Add enough olive oil to drippings in the pot to equal two tablespoons. Add onion, carrots, and garlic,and sauté until carrots are tender and the onions are slightly translucent and browned.Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, and kielbasa; simmer over low heat 10 minutes. Add cooked sorghum, spinach and cheese to the pot and heat for 10 more minutes, or until spinach is wilted and soup is warmed through. Serve warm..
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days or frozen for up to three months.
Makes about 12 servings
Print this Recipe