- 12 slices bacon, thick cut
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cans 14.5oz. chicken broth, + 3 cans of water
- 1 cup white wine, or broth
- 1 16oz. pkg. Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
- 4 cups zucchini, diced
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 can 14.5oz. tomatoes, diced
- 1 can 15oz. cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp.Remove cooked bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain; crumble when cooled.
Meanwhile, reserve 3 Tbsp. of bacon drippings in pot (if short, add olive oil until there is 3 Tbsp. total fat). Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender. Add broth, water and wine, and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.Reduce heat to a simmer, add zucchini, corn, tomatoes, beans and tomato paste, and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and the soup is heated through.
Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil and lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a sprinkle of Parmesan and crumbled bacon. Serve warm.
Print this Recipe