- 6 bacon, slices thick cut, diced
- 1/2 cup onion flakes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 14.5oz.cans chicken broth, + 2 cans of water
- 3/4 cup white wine, of broth
- 1 12oz. pkg. Hodgson Mill Ultragrain® Elbows with Quinoa
- 3 cups zucchini, diced
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 14.5oz. can tomatoes, diced
- 1 15oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp.
Remove the bacon from the pot using a slotted spoon and place it on a paper
towel-lined plate to drain. Reserve two tablespoons of bacon drippings in the
pot; add a little olive oil if there isn’t enough.
Next, sauté the onion and
garlic in the bacon drippings for four minutes or until tender. Add the
broth, water (fill empty chicken broth can) and white wine to the pot and bring
to a boil. Add the pasta to the pot and cook for five minutes. Be
sure to stir the soup a few times as the pasta is cooking to keep it from
sticking to the bottom. Add the zucchini, corn, tomatoes and beans to the
pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking for about five more
minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the soup is heated
through. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the basil and lemon
juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a sprinkle of parmesan
and bacon before serving.
Vegetable broth can be used instead of chicken broth and the bacon may be
omitted for a vegetarian version of this soup. The wine is optional (use
water or more broth instead) and other types of Hodgson Mill pasta.
Print this Recipe