Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Bow Ties not only add some healthy whole grains to this dish, but also hold up really well when tossed with the pesto and vegetables. The whole wheat gives these bow ties a tastier flavor and a more firm, but not tough, bite. Most white flour pastas would turn to mush in this kind of recipe
- 1 1/2 cups basil, lightly packed, fresh leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3/4 lb green beans, fresh, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 lb Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Bow Ties
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Adapted from Fine Cooking
To make the pesto vinaigrette, put the basil, olive oil, cheese, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and lemon zest in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Taste then season with salt as needed. Set aside.
To make the pasta salad, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Remove the beans with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep the pot of water boiling and add in the peas, cooking for a minute. Remove the peas from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and transfer them to the paper towel-lined baking sheet with the green beans. Set aside to cool.
Add the pasta to the boiling pot of water and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta thoroughly and pour it onto a rimmed baking sheet. Toss the pasta with the olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside to cool. Put the pasta, beans, peas and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl. Add half of the pesto vinaigrette to the bowl and toss; you won’t need all of the pesto. Add the pine nuts and toss again. Allow the salad to rest for 10-15 minutes to give the flavors a chance to meld together. Taste again and add more pesto vinaigrette if needed. Serve immediately.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Print this Recipe