Originally titled Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink Cookies, we re-named them Back-to-School Cookies in honor of our baking mission. The recipe included chocolate chips, coconut, oats, crisp rice cereal (Special K) and in lieu of nuts we decided to add dried apricots and dried cherries. Perfect!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, 2 sticks
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/3 cup Hodgson Mill All Purpose White Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup coconut, shredded, sweetened
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, or chunks
Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well in between. Mix in the vanilla extract. Add the flours, baking soda and salt. Mix until fully incorporated. Stir in the rice cereal, coconut, rolled oats, apricots, cherries and chocolate chunks. Scoop the dough into large tablespoon-sized portions onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake in a 350ºF oven for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the middles are slightly soft. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets and then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Print this Recipe